How to proceed


Taking part in a university exchange is a unique and fascinating experience, provided you prepare for it properly.


The first thing to remember is that you need start the process well in advance, i.e. a minimum of one year before your anticipated departure date. For example, if you are aiming to study abroad in the 3rd year of your bachelor’s course, you need to start the process at the start of your 2nd year at the latest.


There are different types of university exchange agreement. Make sure you check which type of agreement you are intending to study under, as the deadlines for applying and some of the arrangements are different!


In general terms, if you apply by 1 December for a destination under a general agreement as your first choice and you are not accepted, you will find out in late January or early February. This means you will have the option of applying for an SEMP or faculty agreement by 20 February.


If your first choice is a destination available under a faculty or SEMP agreement, you simply need to apply to your faculty by 20 February. If you are not accepted, you can apply again by 15 April to study under a general agreement, but only for the spring term of the following year (provided there are still places available).

Follow us: